Bridgestone Blizzak W965 Review

One of six unique offerings under the Bridgestone Blizzak sub-brand, the Blizzak W965 is specifically built for light-trucks and commercial vehicles.

Pros

  • Amazing grip on snow and ice
  • 10-ply options
  • Stable handling on clear and snow-covered roads

Cons

  • Limited sizes

Stretching outside the realm of passenger vehicles, Bridgestone saw the demand for its popular Blizzak winter tire on not only light-trucks, but also medium and heavy-duty commercial trucks. While these machines often don’t make use of winter tires, those that really do need it, need grip and a tire they can trust.

And there’s no name that’s more synonymous with winter, than Blizzak.

Designed with impressive snow and ice traction, these tires are build for the load carrying capacity required of commercial trucks. They even come with Load Range E options, thanks to 10-ply construction.

While some winter tires are designed more for deep snow, and some for clear but cold roads, the Blizzak offers a unique tread pattern and tread compound optimized for both.

The tread pattern makes use of what Bridgestone calls a Tube Multicell tread compound that uses both microscopic pores on the tread as well as tiny micr-channels running the circumference of the tire. These two elements work together to disperse the thin film of water that forms from the rubber touching the frozen ground or snow.

If you’re not familiar with winter tire technology, or the need for winter tires, it’s not actually the snow or cold that reduces grip, but the think layer of water that’s created between the two when they touch. And these Blizzak W965 helps to remove that slippery surface from the equation.

Of note, only the top 55% of the Blizzak tire’s tread depth makes use of the Tube Multicell tread compound, with wear indicators build into the tread to let you know when the tire has surpassed that level. The remaining 45% of the tire tread is made up of a conventional winter tire compound.

As for grip in snow, the tread block design features zig-zag sipes and plenty of exterior biting edges to help the tire grip in deep snow.

In terms of tire makeup, the Blizzak W965 uses two steel belts reinforced by spiral-wrapped nylon, as well as a casing that’s been reinforced with polyester cords. This is all done to deliver maximum load-carrying capability without harming ride quality.

UPDATE: The Blizzak W965 has been replaced by the Blizzak LT. For more info on that tire, click here.

 

Bridgestone Blizzak W965 Price

Pricing for the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 ranges from around $140 per tire to just over $200 for 16- and 17-inch tire sizes.

Bridgestone Blizzak W965 Warranty

Like all winter tires, the Blizzak W965 does not come with a milage warranty. It does come backed by Bridgestone’s limited warranty that covers defects in materials and workmanship. Bridgestone will replace defective tires on a pro-rated basis up to 5 years from the date of purchase.

Bridgestone Blizzak W965 Sizes

16-inch tires

LT215/85R16
LT235/85R16
LT225/75R16
LT245/75R16
LT265/75R16

17-inch tires
LT245/70R17
LT265/70R17
LT235/80R17

What vehicles does the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 fit on?

  • Chevrolet Suburban, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500
  • Ford F-150, F-250, F-350, Ranger
  • GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra 2500
  • Toyota Tacoma, Land Cruiser
  • Ram 1500

Is the Blizzak LT better than the W965?

The Blizzak LT represents Bridgestone’s next-generation of tire for medium duty, heavy duty and commercial trucks. The tread design allows for 30% more biting edges for added grip in the cold and on snow. There are also larger and deeper water evacuation channels, which double to help force slush out of the way as well. Plus, the tread compound is designed to be more durable and Bridgestone expects most drivers should be able to get an extra season out of these new tires.